Bulletproof Dental Practice Podcast Episode 35
Hosts: Dr. Peter Boulden & Dr. Craig Spodak
Guest: Brett Judd, Your Practice Therapist
- Key areas of dental burnout and stress:
- Staff issues
- Cash flow issues
- Stress in general
- Burnout starts to set in at approximately 7-10 years
- Divorce rate is systemic in dentistry, and averages about 46%
- Divorce is going down in general population, dentists have a higher rate of divorce when you look at divorce rate by profession
- Studies show when our core relationships are strong we’re better entrepreneurs, better at our craft, more creative and resilient. When they’re in distress those key skills diminish.
- First step to turn around burnout is to realize you’re not alone, and to put together a self-care plan to help ease stress and reduce bad energy.
- Four W strategy helps you normalize and immediately differentiate yourself from the chaos:
- Why do I care?
- Who says?
- Whose issue?
- What can I do about it?
- When you feel tension rising, run through the four W’s to chip away at accumulated beliefs.
- Work on building a true, autonomous, self-directed team, as compared to a well-managed staff. A truly self-directed team will have the ability to run without a manager. It frees you up to do an amazing amount of core work without the stress of managing.
- Empower your people to excel in their scope.
- The last thing you want to do is be a manager. Parts and pieces can be managed, but humans are not manageable. Build a true leadership based plan, give authority and expertise over to your team.
- Purpose is the primary personal motivator for millennials.
- Constructive coaching is great for high-stress patients or underperforming employees, it’s a very effective way to develop leadership:
- Praise (The way that you… I love it when you...)
- Ask (Can I show you…)
- Enable and empower
Freedom Founders Mastermind
Marriages Worth Millions
Your Practice Therapist
High Production Teams For Dentists / Facebook Group
The 21 Irrefutable Laws Of Leadership by John Maxwell
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
The Self Journal
“Give your people the parameters in which they can excel, then step back and watch them succeed.” – Dr. Peter Boulden
“Dentistry is not a dictatorship.” – Dr. Peter Boulden